When the New year starts everyone likes to make a New Year's resolution. Mine this year was finding ways to save. I wanted to look at my utilities first and figure a way to save on our monthly costs. When I discovered that in my home state of Ohio you could pick your own energy provider, I knew I needed to do a bit more research.
I knew that I needed to be more responsible for my own savings so here are the steps I have taken to reduce my bill.
1) All those smart phone chargers are little Electric vampires. Once your phone is disconnected it doesn't stop power from surging thru those plugs. If you don't have a phone, tablet, ipad or any other device doing actual charging then unplug it from the wall. You will be surprised by the savings.
2) Turn off your computers, printers and laptops. Don't let them fall into sleep mode, this is still using more electricity than you think. If you aren't using it. Turn it off.
3) Set up one day a week for laundry and cut down on your housework and the every day running of the washer and dryer. If you can unplug those while you aren't using them, that would also be a big saver. I do laundry once a week and try to do 4 loads maximum. I really enjoy once a week laundry, it keeps me on schedule and stops me from having laundry to fold every day.
4) Don't leave lights and ceiling fans on when you leave a room. Practice all those things your parents taught you and turn off lights behind you! Parents have been telling this to kids since the first invention of electricity. There must be a reason right?
5) Turn down the thermostat and dress a bit warmer. This will really save on energy issues for the winter. This is a big one. Keep your house so that you aren't constantly turning up and down the temperature and you will use less energy.
While these are great ways to save and can cut your bill down 5 - 28% or more there is one big way to save and that is by going to Direct Energy Ohio. Right now in January Direct Energy Ohio is having special rates. So last but not least...
6) Check into the fixed rates offered by Direct Energy Ohio - In Ohio you can
Save up to 14%* over DP&L’s electricity rate, and up to 10%* over Duke Energy’s electricity rate. There’s more! Save up to *5% over The Illuminating Company’s electricity rate, and up to 3%* over Ohio Edison’s electricity rate - *All savings refers to the current difference between Direct Energy's fixed rate offer and the Utility’s current Fixed Rate for Basic Service as of January 8, 2016, and does not include any other component of the electricity bill. Utility rates are subject to change and there may be no savings following the respective official utility rate change date. Direct Energy's fixed rates include electricity supply charges only and excludes delivery/transmission charges, taxes, and all other utility-related charges. Offer is limited and valid for new residential customers only.
- 1. Direct energy offers a fixed-rate energy plan: your electricity rate won’t fluctuate throughout your contract term.
- 2. Direct Energy is the only energy provider to be a part of Plenti. You can earn rewards every month with Plenti!
- 3. Direct Energy offers different savings depending on where you live – plug in your zipcode on the landing page to learn about the offers available in your area!
That is it, simple, quick and easy. Get over there and start saving before you know it spring will be here!