Mary is here today on Happily Ever Rushed to share some tips on how to maintain shutters.
These are great tips for any family that chose the elegant look of shutters. Thank you Mary for being a guest!
Few Tips to Maintain Aluminum Shutters to last them longer
Opting for shutters is an essential for every home due to various reasons, the main being security. With security in focus, aluminum shutters can be considered as an ideal option due to its sturdiness. By keeping the exteriors and the interiors in focus you can choose from the different styles and colors in accordance to the décor of your home. Aluminum is the chosen material these days for shutters as these tend to be more durable as compared to other materials available. Moreover, these are resistant to the weather and any sort of breakage or damage.
Once you have made the choice of these shutters it is wise to know some tips for their maintenance so that they can last for a long period of time without any problems. They are:
- The surface, if powder coated, can be cleaned by using the cleaner which is paraffin based or even a non-abrasive cream. It is advisable to avoid using cleaners which are strong and contain hydrocarbons or any type of abrasive polish.
- The cleaning of the aluminum shutters would be on a routine basis as a prolonged mark can be the cause of damage to the metal. A routing cleaning means, at least, once in three months.
- You need to make sure that the mildews are removed as soon as these are spotted.
- Make sure you maintain the tracks by brushing off the gravel or dirt accumulated with a brush with stiff bristles. The cleaning of the tracks ensures that they run smoothly. You can think of using a vacuum cleaner which has a nozzle.
- Lubricate the specific channels with silicone based lubricants.
- The locks along with the keys need to be lubricated and cleaned regularly. You need to put some oil of the lubricating kind to the key and then put it in and out of the lock multiple times so that the oil can be passed on to the lock.
- It is best to make sure that heating equipment is kept away from these aluminum shutters during winters to avoid deformation.
- Do not handle the shutters with any solution to avoid discoloration.
- Make sure to tighten the locks and handles as soon as you find them getting loose.
- Regular washing can help you maintain the shutters for a long span of time.
- In case you have paint splashes around the shutters make sure to clean them immediately so that the marks do not remain for long.
- Regular cleaning of powder coated aluminum shutters can avoid the deposits of grime and acid which are accumulated most often in coastal areas.
- The shutter surface can be cleaned with ample water so that this can reach the places which are difficult to access. You can follow this up with a little of silicone spray. It is important to make sure that the blades are operational.
- Using a mild detergent can remove the contaminants but you need to follow this up cleaning with fresh water.
- For ongoing protection, you can use lanolin as a coating to avoid deterioration due to the atmosphere. Mopping is required so that it does not have any weep holes.
We hope that above mentioned tips will help you for maintaining aluminum shutters or else you can search for companies who can get these shutters maintained regularly in case you feel the lack of time. Choosing these companies can ensure the aluminum shutters are well maintained and lasts long as intended. Before thinking of the maintenance you need to make sure of the right choice of the shutters.